Wangara Green Ventures (the Fund) is an SEC-licensed Venture Capital Fund that invests between GHS500,000 and GHS5,000,000 in green small and growing businesses (SGBs) with a positive climate impact and job creation potential. The fund aims to invest quasi-equity instruments in these green SGBs to enable them to achieve their environmental and social impact while ensuring long-term profitability. Priority sectors include climate-smart agriculture, renewable energy, energy efficiency, waste management, water management, and other climate-friendly businesses.
The Fund seeks a diligent, self-motivated, and innovative person to join the team as a Compliance Officer.
B. Job Description:
Under the supervision of the Board of Directors, the primary functions of the compliance officer (subject to the overall responsibility of the Board for compliance with regulatory requirements) shall include the following:
a) Advise the Board on the policies and procedures necessary to comply with the regulatory requirements to which the fund is subject.
b) Ensure that the fund notifies the Commission of all changes in licensing particulars.
c) Monitor the effectiveness of internal controls in mitigating risk, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, and implementing the Board’s strategy and policies.
d) Ensure that all relevant persons are aware of the regulatory requirements, including employees and agents.
e) Report material breaches to the Board.
f) Report to the Board any disciplinary action taken by the Commission against the Fund.
g) Report to the Board the results of any inspections or investigations conducted by the Commission.
h) Report no less frequently than annually to the Board on the adequacy of the internal controls in mitigating risk, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, and implementing the Board’s strategy and policies.
i) Any other function that the Commission or Board of Directors may prescribe from time to time.
Under the supervision of the Managing Director, additional responsibilities include the following:
· Lead all regulatory compliance matters, including renewal of licenses with the various regulatory authorities (Registrar General’s Department, SEC, NPRA, and Data Protection Commission).
· Ensure the Fund and its portfolio companies comply with the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Framework (ESF).
· Assess the compliance of the Fund’s portfolio companies with statutory requirements and relevant laws and regulations.
· Assess the compliance of the investment team with the following processes:
o Deal sourcing, conduct of due diligence, and portfolio monitoring and support.
o Management of programs, including managed accounts.
· Coordinate the conduct of annual financial audits and quarterly valuations by an independent audit firm.
· Coordinate the conduct of annual impact & ESG attestations by an independent firm.
· Assist with the drafting and review of critical policies and procedures.
· Assist with KYC/AML, E&S screening, and reference checks during the conduct of due diligence on investors, investees, and strategic partners.
· Any other duties assigned by the Managing Director.
Qualifications and experience:
· Masters in finance, Business Administration, Management, Law, or related field.
· Minimum of 7 years experience in compliance or related field.
· Completed the GISI or GSE Securities Course.
· A professional certificate in finance, accounting or compliance is an advantage.
· A certificate in sustainability, ESG or impact investing is an advantage.
· Experience in the Venture Capital and Private Equity industry or the Fund Management industry is an advantage.
Desired skill set:
· Good communication, writing and presentation skills.
· Highly analytical with strong attention to detail.
· Proactive, cooperative and a team player.
· High sense of integrity and professional ethics.
· Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
· Good knowledge of the Ghanaian private fund industry and regulations.
· Understanding of World Bank’s Environmental and Social Framework (ESF).
Location: The job will be based in Accra but will require limited travel to other regions.
Suggested start date: January 1st, 2024.