Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of Resources Management Officer, in close cooperation with the relevant units of the mission, Finance Assistant is responsible for the following functions;
• Assist in managing financial resources by monitoring and controlling assets, reserves, funds, supplies, etc. in accordance with IOM rules and regulations;
• Assist in preparing annual budget submission and revisions including estimating staff cost as well as rental and utilities, office equipment and supplies, printing, and other contracts, services or running expenses, to include in the budget;
• Extract and input data from various sources in financial or accounting systems;
• Assist providing guidance in accounting, budget and financial related issues;
• Assist in the preparation of the payroll by executing validity checks on monthly payroll results;
• Reviews all types of payments starting from purchases to payment requests verifying that they are duly authorized and all the supporting documents are attached therewith;
• Verify vendor claims for accuracy and conformance with IOM finance policies and instructions;
• Perform claim verifications against documentation to ensure that purchases/services are
properly authorized and that the goods have been received or services rendered;
• Assist in the preparation of budget, accounting, financial, statistical reports and other reports as required;
• Provide assistance to all staff services such as travel, expense claims, document retrieval, etc.;
• Ensure proper and systematic completion of all posted payments and other accounting
documents according to the established standards;12. Responsible for the Petty Cash of the office; and,
• Perform other related duties as required.
Qualification Required & Experience
• High School diploma with five years of relevant experience; or,
• Bachelor’s degree in business administration, Accounting, Finances, or related fields with three years of relevant professional experience.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail, Outlook; previous experience in SAP is a distinct advantage;
• Attention to detail, ability to organize paperwork in a methodical way;
• Discreet, details and clients-oriented, patient and willingness to learn new things; and,
• Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
• Personal commitment, flexibility, and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from various cultures and professional background. Ability to work under tight timelines.
• For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
• Working knowledge of French or any other UN Official language is advantageous.
• The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges
CORE COMPETENCIES – Behavioural indicators – Level
• Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner.
• Competencies and respective levels should be drawn from the Competency Framework of the Organization.
• Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
• Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication.
• Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational
• Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
• Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
• In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the
neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
• Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Accra, Ghana on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications directly to:
Specifying the vacancy reference number VN2023-022 and candidate’s full name in the subject line.
Closing Date: 06 November, 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.